Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Week 4

Summary
                                                                                              Where Mormons were told to live

I was pretty far behind on my reading so I had to read a ton this week to catch up on where I should be. So I read a lot of different things this week. First, there was a lot more on the history of the Mormon religion.  I learned a lot more about Joseph Smith and how he made the religion. Him and the Mormons were run out of state for their beliefs. They were told by God to go to Missouri. There was a little bit more about the Laffery brothers.  Apparently Dan Lafferty was not a complete Mormon. I didnt really understand this part of the book, but I guess Dan was just becoming a Mormon during this event. It was a pretty confusing part. Krakauer talked a little bit about how Joseph Smith died. I didnt get to read to much about it though before it was time to blog about what I read so far.

         Portrait of Joseph Smith



Review


Lately, the book has gotten sort of boring and I'm rather tired of hearing about the Mormon religion. It thought the boom was going to be a lot about the murders, which the book does really revolve around the Lafferty brothers, but I think it's a little bit too much about the history of the religion. It is an interesting religion though and I have enjoyed reading about it. However, I think krakauer could have summed it up and not spent so much time on it. I am not really disliking the book, but I just think its a bit much.





Focus


This week my focus was to pay attention to the detail and the descriptions of things. I find that this is one of Krakauer's strong points. He puts detail that makes the book really interesting even when the reader isn't at the most interesting part of the book. Sometimes, when I read this book, it feels like an episode of Dateline and I can sort of imagine Keith Morrison narrating what has happened in my head; especially at the parts talking about the murderers and what they did. If you are interested in reading a book by Jon Krakauer I would recommend you do so. He is just such a good writer, and I think the book I most prefer of his would have to be Into the Wild.

Weekly Links:




1 comment:

  1. You are spot on with your focus this week. Krakauer is the king of description and detail. He is such a beautiful writer. I might have told you this before, but he wrote my favorite sentence of all time!
    Summary- 5/5
    Review- 5/5
    Focus- 5/5
    Sources- 5/5
    Pictures/video- 5/5
    Grammar/spelling- 4/5
    Total- 29/30

    ReplyDelete