Monday, March 18, 2013

Week 5

Summary                                                                                        Brigham Young who may 
                                                                                                                    have provoked MMM

As I come to a closing in my book "Under the Banner of Heaven", Krakauer does a nice job of starting to sum up and finish his history lessons on the Mormon religion. He also talks about the Mountain Meadows Massacre, which was a five day massacre, in southern Utah. It's kind of a confusing little battle, with about 130 dead. I'll include a link to the wikipedia about it right here --->MMMassacre. Krakauer finally finished the book by talking about the relationship between Dan and Ron Lafferty as of 2003 when the book was written. It's an insane and crazy relationship now. Basically, Dan is convinced that Ron is the devil's offspring. Also, Dan believes Ron is just trying to achieve and complete God's relation on Ron by killing him. There has been some past violence with the brothers too. Apparently, Ron has attacked Dan at least once before, breaking a few of his bones. They both now reside in prison.


Link to article about Ron Lafferty and appeal

Review

In the next post, I'll review the book as a whole, but this is just this week. I think the reading this week was awesome. The Mountain Meadows Massacre was really interesting and I just thought the amount of detail at that part was nothing shy of phenomenal. In fact, the whole detail was really great. Krakauer definitely finished strong with these last few chapters of the book. I highly doubt there is a better reporter on the planet thats better than Krakauer. I really enjoyed the book, and I truly look forward to reading other books by him.


              Mountain Meadows Massacre

Focus

For this final week, I focused on whether the Mormon community seemed to be nice people. They were never really liked because of their beliefs. I don't think anyone should ever be criticized or judged for their beliefs. This makes me think that the Mormon community is harmless, and just want to be together and do what they wish without the harassment of others running them away from states. I have nothing against any Mormon's in real life. I am not religious, and I don't really care about what anybody believes in. Therefore, I have no bias. There is always gonna be good people in the world, and bad people. There is nothing anyone can do about it. I'm sure there are mormon's on both sides. For instance, Warren Jeffs is an example of a man that I think is a little wrong in the head, and should have thought before he committed his sick actions. He is, in my opinion, a bad person. But, there are also men like Joseph Smith, who have done nothing wrong. It is hard to say whether the community is mean, or they are nice. I just thought I would do a little observation on both sides.

1 comment:

  1. Summary- 5/5
    Review- 5/5
    Focus- 5/5 Good choice this week.
    Pictures/video- 5/5
    Sources- 5/5
    Grammar/spelling- 4/5
    Total- 29/30

    ReplyDelete